MAKARIOS - DENKTASH HIGH - LEVEL AGREEMENT
The guidelines provided that the aim would be:
- An independent non-aligned bi-communal federal Republic.
- The territory under the administration of each community should
be discussed in the light of economic viability and productivity
and land ownership.
- Questions of principles like freedom of movement, freedom
of settlement, the right of property and other specific matters
are open for discussion, taking into consideration the fundamental
basis of a bi-communal federal system and certain practical difficulties
which may arise for the Turkish Cypriot community.
- The powers and functions of the central federal government
will be such as to safeguard the unity of the country, having
regard to the bi-communal character of the state.
THE 10 - POINT AGREEMENT OF 19 MAY 1979
Following is the text of the agreement between the president of
the Republic, Mr Kyprianu and the Turkish Cypriot leader, Mr Denktash,
concluded on 19 May 1979 during a meeting under the auspices of
the UN Secretary-General Dr Waldheim:
- It was agreed to resume the inter-communal talks on 15 June
- The basis of the talks will be the Makarios-Denktash guidelines
of 12 February 1977 and the UN resolutions relevant to the Cyprus
- There should be respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms
for all citizens of the Republic.
- The talks will deal with all territorial and constitutional
- Priority will be given to reaching agreement on the resettlement
of Varosha under UN auspices simultaneously with the beginning
of the consideration by the interlocutors of the constitutional
and territorial aspects of a comprehensive settlement. After agreement
on Varosha has been reached it will be implemented without awaiting
the outcome of the discussion on other aspects of the Cyprus problem.
- It was agreed to abstain from any action which might jeopardise
the outcome of the talks, and special importance will be given
to the initial practical measures by both sides to promote goodwill,
mutual confidence and the return to normal conditions.
- The demilitarisation of the Republic of Cyprus is envisaged,
and matters relating thereto will be discussed.
- The independence, sovereignty, territorial integrity and non-alignment
of the Republic should be adequately guaranteed against union
in whole or in part with any other country and against any form
of partition or secession.
- The inter-communal talks will be carried out in a continuing
and sustained manner, avoiding any delay.
- The inter-communal talks will take place in Nicosia.
||How You Can Help||
||Home Page||Index||Introduction||Human Rights||United Nations||Turkish Viloations||